Friday, July 11, 2014

The Art of Free Time

Towards the end of the school year, before the insanity of finals ensued, I was faced with a dilemma. 

Free time. 

That's right, looking ahead to the summer I realized that my job would only be about 10 hours a week and I would have about a month to fill before returning to my beloved home sweet Kentucky home. 

For my family and friends, this is probably no surprise. I am always occupying my time with something, and I oftentimes anxious when I find too much time on my hands. 

I was talking to my spiritual director about this large amount of free minutes looming ahead, and what was his response? 

"Good."

I was somewhat confused, what did he mean by good?!

"You need to learn to relax and just be, to live and enjoy free time." 

Hmpf. A very wise priest, who seems to know me well...go figure. Learning how to relax is not a strength of mine, and it can quickly lead to my demise. 

I have noticed this tendency in many other people my age. We are 'go-getters' wanting to find out a way to fill every second to achieve a particular goal. We have no problem with taking time off, as long as that time is confined to a day...or maybe two. 

I will only speak for myself, but in this hustle and bustle to become accomplished or to achieve, I miss a million opportunities everyday to grow as a person in experiencing beauty and culture and life! 

Using free time well is an art. A balance of rest and exciting adventure. Learning and growing without frantically studying. 

Relaxing doesn't mean you must sit and twiddle your thumbs all day (although snuggling up in your bed for a movie marathon is occasionally just the ticket to kick start the process), but it is more importantly about nourishing your soul and experiencing what the world has to offer. Taking advantage of this freedom actually allows me to work better once the time has come again to hit the pavement running because that time will inevitably come. 

So, go relax, but relax well. The opportunities are few and far between so take advantage of the opportunity to experience the depth and beauty of life














No comments:

Post a Comment