Sunday, September 15, 2013

Oh Italy

+JMJ+

I know I have recently been posting more reflective thoughts rather than what is going on here in Italia, so here is an update on the happenings of my life!

I have completed the first week of language school and all is going pretty well. Sometimes I have no idea what is going on, and other times I feel confident I might one day...eventually learn the language. The funny thing about language school is that in my class I am one of two women! I am in a class of about 20 priests and that becomes quite entertaining.  In the whole program there are about six lay women, three religious sisters, and 60 priests...needless to say I am outnumbered, but that has helped to form a solidarity amongst the women.

Most of the people in the program live in a residency and almost everything is taken care of for them. They have a laundry service and all meals are prepared. I tend to get some sympathy for having to 'fend for myself' and juggle learning a new language at the same time, and I think my classmates find me endearing.

Not only do I stick out at school, but I am somewhat of an oddity in the city in general. Pale skin and strawberry blonde hair draw a lot of attention. I have been this way since I was, ya know...born, but apparently it isn't quite as normal to everyone else. I am stared at a lot and there are a lot of 'Ciao bella' comments as I walk through the city, and yes I have been asked out and proposed to. Although it is sometimes a confidence boost, I really dislike all of the attention. I would prefer to blend in and intentionally draw attention to myself (you know by dancing down the street like I usually do) rather than always be the subject of gawks and side comments. Little old Italian church ladies seem to like me though so that is a plus (you don't want them on your bad side)!

The coffee here is amazing and I am working on becoming a professional gelato connoisseur. Turkey sandwiches are not common here, but salami and really good ham are...so I am surviving. I have also enjoyed the fruit!

There is a lot of walking in Rome and Birkenstocks are very common here, and no I am not crazy enough to try and wear heels on the cobblestone, I would break my ankle.

The fashion confuses me, some things I can see trending in the US but the combinations of clothing that people put together are rather eccentric.

Aside from that I am just adjusting and trying to settle into my new place. I have found a roommate, who will be in my same program at school, and she moves in at the end of the month!

I have had such great support here while adjusting and I already have a great group of friends. There is a lot of solidarity amongst the English speaking people so it has been nice to step into an already formed community.

With all of that being said, and all of the beautiful adventures I have had thus far, I miss America! I miss my family and friends, being able to buy food to-go, punctuality, my car, fall, knowing where I am and not having to rely on public transportation, parks and nature, and so many other things.

All in all, the transition has been tough, but day by day it gets a little easier. I am so thankful for this opportunity and I am excited to see what all is to come!








No comments:

Post a Comment